Saturday, March 7, 2009

Perseverance (#36)

Perseverance, I have great admiration for this behavioral trait. I have not always lived up to its definition of being "steadfast" but my respect for it is real. I can best describe my past as closer to, wind blown, than to rock solid. I can say I persevered in being non-comittal, but that was a by-product of my behavior not an intentional path of choice. Facing the reality of my past behavior has been disappointing. I made a lot of decisions thinking only of what was happening at the moment without considering the overall implications to my or others futures. I feel regret, actually physically feel regret. However, I must let what has passed be what it is, the past, and try to make my present and future rock solid. I am trying very hard to balance being selfless with maintaining my own compassion and curiosity for who I am and what hopes I wish to see realized. Many of my decisions are still being made with the present in mind, but now I try to think them through using moral, ethical, legal and logical principles when I know my decisions effect others. I am still human and error prone, but not because I don't persevere with intent to do the right thing.

No comments: