Monday, May 11, 2009

My word is my bond (#101)

"My word is my bond." The simplicity of saying this phrase is not as easy as actually accomplishing it. Of course it is easy to accomplish when everything goes according to plan or schedule. My problems arise when unexpected events interject themselves and other decisions come into play. In life or death emergencies allowances can be made. For the most part though unless a waiver is given by the promised one no allowance should be acceptable. Logic would dictate that a hierarchy of higher priority of circumstances should govern if a word given could be altered, however the strain on the system of accountability should always remain as the first priority. There are few ideals in human nature that I have a great influence over and keeping my word is one of them. Holding fast to virtuous principles is my ambition and goal. These ideals form the foundation of who I am so if I deny or waver from their precepts I become less who I want to be. For me that is not acceptable. I have seen enough and endured enough and practiced enough less than honorable human traits and I find despair and regret as the price for those ventures. I have mentioned in previous postings on my blog how I spent many years using the trial and error method as a default position when it came to crucial decisions in my life. Those days are over and a new day is here. Today when my word is given it will be honored by me with all the conviction I hold dear.

No comments: