Friday, June 12, 2009

The Big Picture (#133)

There are times when the debate on issues of common interest becomes emotional. There are times when debate has little chance of persuasion because of steadfastness in belief which won't allow a different perspective to be considered. These are examples of situations where deadlock on progress for issues at times won't allow for any determining conclusion to evolve. I am fortunate in that I try to look at the big picture, the overall effect, of what a better or best outcome should possibly be. I don't wish to be subjective, because I am not important or wise enough to be correct for everyone in what I think is true or not. However I do try to listen to the objective aspects of debate and form an opinion based on sensibility and fairness. That still doesn't make my opinion right or good but it at least gets me to a starting point where I can then move to add more objectivity and hopefully lean toward a conclusion. Conclusions are not facts they are just the best we can figure out at the time and over time may need to be improved upon or eliminated altogether. My main concern is to always move the debate along toward a never-ending progression of finding the best conclusion. To be stagnant in attempting to determine outcomes is not an option with me and I will continue to advocate for the answers to the pressing problems of our time. The next generation will have it's hands full with their own problems and should not have to take up debate on the things we can do within our time.

No comments: