Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Grab the bull by the horns (#130)

Life does not come with a set of instructions. There are rules, regulations, codes and other conforming standards, but life and it's myriad decisions have no obvious template. When I am in doubt about how to proceed, because of convention and manners, I nevertheless continue forward with what I get to consider is fair and just. Not that what I consider is always, or even sometimes, fair and just, but in lieu of direction I get to put my choice forward. Timidity and lack of nerve are not options when the stakes of life can bring reality changing events into the equation. I used to think that people older than me were better understanding of complicated events that effected me and their world. A sort of acquiescence to their judgement out of respect. I have since then learned that no one has much of a clue as to their own best interests let alone their having clues about mine. We all just need to struggle along and hopefully apply standards to decision-making situations that will leave us somewhat satisfied that we tried our best in the name of humanity. Honesty about who we are and not trying to be something we are not are great starts in the evolution of our own personal standards of conduct and conscious. My life must be measured against the best principles humanity has to offer otherwise I will not be attempting to live up to how I want my life go. It is on me to find the best way to live my life without the fear that would deviate me from this goal.

No comments: