Saturday, June 27, 2009

Helping each other (#148)

OK, no brainer right? We need to help each other. Conversation over, or is it? There have been two forces that pull us along in its wake. First, our place within our society and the demands it puts on us. Second, our contemplations on what we hold as our principle duties, or our ideals to put it simply. We know that at times we must put ourselves first when society confronts us with a dilemma which requires our maintaining of some desired or perceived necessary outcome. To be selfish at certain times helps us maintain or achieve some heightened sense of accomplishment or satisfaction. It is only when we look back at the satisfaction or accomplishment to see what was ignored or purposely avoided are we able to assess any harm or impediment we may have caused to others. Then comes the time to reflect on the balance that our actions have caused. Now, just because we evaluate balance doesn't necessarily mean we are self-conscious and concerned about fairness. It just means we are evaluating for some purpose. My inclination is to avoid the selfishness altogether, because I have found that no matter what the satisfaction or accomplishment, the stain on my soul for selfish purposes never justifies my selfish actions. That is just me and most certainly others feel entirely different about sensual and ego satisfaction and accomplishment. The point I am awkwardly trying to make is this, when I am into myself, I am not into helping someone else. The best feelings I have ever experienced are created by helping those who need and appreciate my help. I like my altruistic nature and enjoy the fruit of its employment. My personal evolution is real and not worthy of ignoring. No matter how much I hate to change, once I do I always realize that my life becomes fuller and I become more aware of how deeply I feel for all my fellow living souls.

1 comment:

CS said...

Change is something I myself stuggle with. I find that comfort in familiarity is our safety zone, one we can hide in when the akwardness of the actions become overwhelming.

You know I watched this program documentary of The Son of Sam. One of the things he spoke of when he detained was how he went out each night looking to both kill and save a life. The taking of a life was his exercising of power, and his saving of a life was what made him feel good. Sadly, the feeling of power was more than the feeling of good. I think about that and realize that our selfish tendencies really can overpower our souls if we dont think beyond ourselves.