Friday, August 14, 2009

Old friends (#196)

I have been on a road trip for the past two days temporarily moving from Sacramento, California to Alamogordo, New Mexico. As I was passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico I was able to spend the night with my brother-in-law, George. I haven't seen George since 1982, just before he got married and moved away. The 27 years that have gone by didn't seem to allow us to stay in touch for whatever reasons. It is somewhat coincidental that the social network of Facebook has allowed us to reconnect and get back into each others lives. The people who are still around who I grew up with share old memories with me that reminds us of happy, sad and different growing instances that helped shape our lives. To me these old friends will always hold a special place in my heart because we cared enough to be friends with each other when making and keeping friends was always precarious. Seeing old friends again also reminds me of how fast time moves and how far along we have come with our lives. I had a great 12 hours with my old friend George, who took the time to have me stay with him. Our long standing friendship has now been reinforced by our willingness to go out of our way to stay in touch.

No comments: