Saturday, August 22, 2009

Pay it forward for good mental health (#204)

This is the conundrum, give something away to get something else. I have found that the act of selflessness actually is a pathway to happiness and self-worth confirmation. Happiness and self-esteem are major components of good mental health. Anytime we are able to attain a sensation of satisfaction through honorable and principled actions we assure ourselves of a delight in living life that is so often sought yet so hard to find. Capitalism is a model for a free market system toward innovation and societal progress however it teaches ambition as it's grail and in doing so leaves compassion and selflessness as very low-level priorities. It becomes incumbent upon all individuals to find within them a way to incorporate selflessness. When this becomes a reality, like it has in my life, a real sense of purpose toward my personal existence enhances greatly. I find that my life makes sense and I have a real destiny in the world. The self-esteem part that I just spoke about is huge for me, knowing that I have value as a citizen of this world moves my mind and creative thoughts to places I had only dreamed about when I was young and full of limitless possibilities. I have recaptured those very same thoughts because I give of myself and of the things I have in order to right wrongs or stop injustices before they occur. An even greater sense of satisfaction comes into play when I remain anonymous about my giving to all but my God. My mental health has never been in a better state than the one it is now.

No comments: