Saturday, November 28, 2009

Freedom to tell the truth (#302)

America, The United States of America, is a country that has struggled to gain the right for it's citizens to speak freely of their opinions. As long as no harm to others or themselves is involved this right is universal within the jurisprudence of American territory. How unbelievable this is for us to celebrate in our lifetime on a daily basis. In our past history this has not been the case. In present history outside our shores many other territories do not allow such freedom of speech. The cost America paid for this liberty is immeasurable. The life and blood, given and shed is unfathomable. How dear to us we should value this immense gift and protect it with every fiber of our being. As a consequence of the right to freedom of speech there is a moral, ethical and legal obligation to tell the truth. Truth telling is not as simple as just going around and speaking truth to everything that is in existence, or is it? I know that knowing what the truth is, is sometimes difficult to know and understand. But knowing what truth is should be a starting point for speaking truth. No words should come out as truth that are not actually truth. I know that I constantly keep my mouth in check on subjects that I am unsure about. Where I have problems is when I hear other people speak less than truth as if it were truth. I want to debate and refute their premise, disguised as a conclusion. I am not the truth police but I honor truth and the price that has been paid to secure it's expression. Nothing in life is of a higher value than the personal sacrifice of human life. When it is made in the name of freedom, especially freedom to tell the truth, then I for one will also defend it with my life.

No comments: