Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Your fears are not mine (#439)

In general this statement of mine that your fears are not mine is true but in specific areas when your fears line up with my fears then of course your fears are the same as mine. However, your fears are still yours and not mine. I have been involved recently with some folks who want me to do things a certain way because their experience has shown them that the way they did things was the only thing that worked for them. I applaud that something worked and they are an advocate for it. I don't applaud them telling me that their way is the only way. As unique as we all are we still do carry many similarities. The expectation that we all must do things the same way is closed-minded and not open to the differences we have all experienced. I am the follower of my own drum and although in a lot of cases I do follow generally acceptable methods I am also unique in other ways that allow me to find a path that is similar yet not the same. When people tell me that I am doomed to be like they were before they figured it out I am thankful for their insight but not always accepting of their logic. We are all carrying our lives with us and what works for one is not the same answer for another. Seeing that we have numerous differences along with our sameness, I am hesitant to tell someone who has found a way to grow and mature into a better person that what they are doing is not right.

No comments: