Saturday, May 15, 2010

The everyday ritual of writing (#470)

Initially, when I started this blog, I thought I would just post something whenever I had a burning desire to express myself. Things have not turned out that way. Since the third day of this blog beginning, I have posted something every single day. It has become my way of recording the thoughts within me whether they are important to me or just a way of letting myself be vulnerable to the public. In a way writing everyday has been therapeutic in that I am constantly having to focus on my thoughts and a regimented form of writing discipline. I am forcing myself to write even when I am not full of passion to do so. What I have discovered is that I surprise myself by the topics I end up writing about. More often than not the subject matter shows itself as I begin to type a title. If you can see that sometimes the subject matter does not actually align with the topic it is because I write in the title and then proceed to the subject matter. However, my mind begins to open up and takes me from my initial concept. It is amazing what I go through in this process. I am at the whim of the present with very little control over how the subject matter is expressed. It is as if the writing is taking on a life of it's own. When I was a child I would never have thought that the pleasure I get today would be through the genre of writing. A daily journal of infinite subject matter? Writing this blog posting everyday is not a chore but rather a connection to reality that I wish to continue.

No comments: