Thursday, June 24, 2010

Listening as an art (#510)

My ears are on my head for a reason. So that when I hear something it can get directly to my brain in practically no time flat. The problem I have sometimes is that my brain begins to interpret what I am hearing before what I am hearing is finished being heard by me. I find I am anxious, at times, to interject before the telling is finished. Is it a strategic action on my part to save time? That's ridiculous. To show how intelligent and worldly I am? Probably. Insecurity in the first degree. I have noticed this trait within me a few times and I have taken to correct it by forcing myself to stay patient. I listen until the train of thought has been delivered then I attempt to interject. Even then I find that more is yet to come and I must continue to listen and understand. Listening is not new to me but listening equally to all things being spoken to me is. I have gotten much better at it since I have become aware of this old trait of mine. It is so important to be able to complete a thought and I need to respect the giver of the thought as I would like to be respected as a giver of my thought. Like I try to build in my life, wisdom to know what I am doing and what is going on around me. Listening is so valuable as a tool to understanding those around me. I have very little to offer at times but what I can always do is listen and be good at it.

No comments: