Thursday, July 8, 2010

Don't be afraid of knowledge (#524)

Here's a weird concept. People wanting to remain in the familiar instead of moving beyond that. I guess when I put it that way, it does not sound so bad. Except, life is a one-time deal and not living it with our potential possibilities is dull and wasteful. I guess a particular satisfaction is garnered by having security and peace without any uncertainty. Although that kind of logic seems to accept the status quo, however the status quo is just an illusion. Everything is in a constant state of change. As a human being I am born with a free will spirit. I am able to decide many things that could happen in my life. I am able to have decision making power over my environment mainly with the help of knowledge. If I do not accede to the logic that with knowledge comes power, I will put myself at the mercy of others deciding for me. I know many people who do this, let others think for them, as a way to avoid having to do critical thinking for themselves. They either feel that there is too much information to know well enough to understand or they feel that their time is better spent on pleasures or sacrifices. This society we live in is complicated but can be understood in some simple generalizations. We wish to have better, we wish to have peace and we wish to feel happiness. We can have all of these things if we regard education as valuable. We all need to have knowledge and a means to gain knowledge throughout the total course of our lives.

No comments: