Friday, July 2, 2010

The ebbs and flows of emotion (#518)

From despair to ecstasy and all emotions between, the ebb and flow of emotion is fascinating. I would rather not have much despair in my life however without an example of it I would not appreciate the ecstasy when it occurs. Emotions are by far the factor that gives us humans the most value in our day to day lives. I have spent some days without much emotion either way and have not felt as if I was actually alive. I knew I was alive but I didn't feel like I was a part of anything going on around me. Naturally, I do not wish to have any more of the negative emotions that exist. I don't need to understand them or learn from them. I have had enough negative emotions to last the rest of my life. What I have learned from them I have incorporated into how I react and think. It is important to learn quickly from negative emotions so that they don't need to be repeated in a deja-vu kind of way. That just adds a depressing factor to an otherwise already bad experience. What I do like is good emotional experiences and I strive to focus my life toward those outcomes. I am able to do this by keeping my temperament positive and by acting in ways that contribute to positive effects. I do not understand why in life we have these varied emotions but we do and I can help myself experience more positive ones by adjusting my thinking and actions in ways that enhance what is good about being alive in this existence.

No comments: