Sunday, August 8, 2010

The strength to be vulnerable (#555)

Somewhat of an oxymoron. How is it strong to be open to trusting? I will say this, I have had to summon my courage up when I have left myself vulnerable. In all fairness, when I have done this it usually is that some reward might be achieved by putting my trust out beyond myself. The greatest example is with love between a man and a woman. One has to become vulnerable for the other to do the same. That is the payoff in that scenario. If however, there is no reciprocation then having been vulnerable leaves a very bad feeling. Almost so that one would not ever want to trust being vulnerable again. I know this feeling well. However, it is wrong to do so. Just because a bad feeling has come about through being vulnerable does not mean that eventually a good feeling will finally arrive for having been vulnerable. Like all things where there is risk, being prepared for the unexpected is wise. My life up to this point has been a lot of hit and miss. The hits have been small in comparison to the misses but I will continue to allow myself to reach for things beyond me. I do not know when things will happen but if I discontinue allowing myself to be vulnerable I will definitely miss out on them. I have had to learn how to harden myself to disappointment but not so that I would quit. I must remain strong in my conviction that being open and vulnerable is the best way for me to show the kind of man I am.

1 comment:

Gypsy Joy said...

Trust and letting my walls down is never easy for me. I think I'm a magnet for men who lie and use. This was a very timely reminder to not allow myself to become hard hearted. Just wiser and more careful about whom I entrust my heart to next time. Thanks for that enlightenment:)