Sunday, November 14, 2010

Help others and happiness will find you (#653)

It doesn't always work that way but mostly it does for me. Happiness sometimes is hard to define, but a sure indicator with me is when I find I am smiling. It doesn't take much for me to smile either. I do something good for someone or for some cause and a sense of satisfaction and emotional uplift occurs. I have no problem at all distinguishing between the cause and effect of this. My happiness is directly related to how I treat others. Nothing else is quite like it. Certainly I can make a major investment in some really cool piece of merchandise but the initial excitement of having attained a material item soon wears off. However, actions I take for the benefit of others, sticks with me for my lifetime. They also have indirect effects. When someone is directly affected by some action I take to help them they view me kindly and speak kindly about me, as well as, they are more likely to help someone else as well. I am a firm believer in "what comes around, goes around". My pursuit of happiness is like a way of life for me now. Not only do I get the great feeling associated with being happy, but I also get to help spread that feeling to others. What is the purpose of life? I am not sure and I will probably never know for absolute certainty but making this existence a better place to live and doing positive things seems to be sufficient for me. It is my hope that all of us will see the necessity of helping each other so that life can be just a little bit more happily bearable than it currently is.

No comments: