Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Our greatest achievement (#642)

This is not easy since I don't know where we started out at. I would like to think that it is our ability to reason but I don't know if that wasn't inherent within us when we first came into being as a species. Less reason, I suppose it is the idea of community. Again though the necessity of society could very well be a by-product of the knowledge that without it we would be in constant anarchy. As a society though we have been able to make tremendous advancements. Our modern form of government might be our greatest achievement but the verdict is still out on that. I guess I just might have to look at the industrial and technological concepts we have put to use. Flying in planes and space ships is magnificent. Driving in propelled automobiles and water craft is outstanding. Communicating, through land lines, cellular and satellite phones is marvelous. What we can do medically to save and enhance lives is incredible. The ideas we are constantly improving on to better our lives is being fostered by availability of educational opportunities. If I was to choose our greatest achievement I would lean toward the way we share thoughts and ideas with each other. We have libraries and Internet sources for gathering information. There are so many of us that with possibilities offered, many new innovations can be realized. Our education and continued curiosity for learning what as yet has been unlearned is captivating. As each new generation comes into being, the hope that our knowledge from the past and now in the present will be built upon for those who come into the future. I guess I have come back full circle to reason and it's offerings as our greatest achievement.

No comments: