Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Why do I bother to wonder? (#663)

Curiosity is not something I just turn on and off. It is by my understanding, an instinct. I was born with it on and I will most likely breathe my last breath wondering what is next. I suppose life could be lived with little to no curiosity but I cannot see how. My curiosity is in everything I do. I am in a constant state of analyzing the situations and circumstances that surround me. Everything that filters in through my senses has to pass through a recognition feature of my mind and heart. Sometimes I think of myself as an organic computer, sorting the simple and complex equations that make up reality for me. Of course just because an event or thought may present itself does not mean I will understand it's significance, if any. What I do control is the degree by which I am curious. I can accept what others say as truth or I can research my own understanding. What effort do I put into knowing what is going on around me? I see varieties of choice as to becoming informed. Some have no intent to learn outside a certain generally accepted knowledge base and others will not allow themselves to learn within any generally accepted knowledge base. These are two extremes but they do have followers. I tend to fit into the category of questioning everything. This is not easy to do since some fears would prohibit me. What I do when fear surfaces is I remember that fear is a reaction to cowardly behavior, the unknown, myths and superstitions. I make the distinction of which one it is and then gird myself with courage and push forward into the questioning process. I suppose it is not uncommon to be afraid to question my life in existence but I know it is also my instinct to want to know why. :)

No comments: