Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Intention versus reality (#677)

I often get caught up in the intention of an action I would like to proceed with and sometimes lose sight of whether the action I wish to perform is really a wise thing to do. Nobility of the action aside, often other perspectives tend to be less redeeming when viewed from the overall act. I get this. So in lieu of doing something sometimes that I know or realize may be construed differently I acquiesce to not doing it at all. This is and can be disheartening since the original intention was to do a positive thing. Funny how complex life can get and also unfortunate as well. I know that well intentioned motives are not enough when deciding to do something outside myself. Other factors need to be considered. Today, I am well aware of this and tread lightly, with a sense of respect for what a good intention on my part may do, but also how it will make others feel. It is not up to me to fix or make things better that which are not my direct responsibility. What I can do is reach out and offer, where it is appropriate, a helping hand that is offered solely in kindness, with the expectation that my offer will be declined. It is the least of which I can do and if declined, I know that I have tried to do the best of my intention. Charity, through the act of love, is easier to give and much more difficult to receive. I know so many proud souls who want so desperately to make their way in this world with their own two hands. Even the suggestion of an offer is enough to make them cringe. I am a proud man as well but my heart at times recognizes the really difficult times and I do want to make a difference where I can. It is my nature to care.

No comments: