Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It is okay to tell the truth (#739)

I really don't mind admitting that I am wrong. I have had lots of practice over my lifetime and it is nothing new to me. I had hoped that I would have gotten better at not putting myself into a position of being proven wrong but it still does happen. I can live with the embarrassment, it is mine and I have earned it. lol. Of course I have learned to be more objective about things in life so that I can keep an open mind thus mostly saving myself the ingratitude of others about my uninformed opinion. My particular battle within myself is over my ego and how I feel about what is right and wrong. I have had to rethink my positions on most everything I originally learned because I grounded my thoughts in subjective viewpoints. Eating crow is an expression I have heard most of my life since it relates directly to admitting an error of mine to someone else. It cannot taste good and would seem to be what ordinary people would attempt to avoid with a conviction. It also though serves as a metaphor for describing why it seems so hard to admit fault. It is not a pleasant experience. Since I have insightful experience with admitting fault I usually go very gently on others when they must admit fault to me or others around me. It is important to create a climate of positive fault admitting for the sake of getting back to the truth. Rubbing someone's nose in a mistake is antithetical to fault correction. Instead a reward of some little magnitude should be displayed to those who are willing to comprehend a mistake in conjunction with admitting it. Telling the truth in all of it's forms is what we all can do to make our world clear for determining the direction we need to go.

No comments: