Thursday, March 3, 2011

Compassion, curiosity and the will to survive, really? (#762)

How did I ever get to these three instincts of compassion, curiosity and the will to survive being our only three true instincts? For me, I used my own experiences to help me define this theory of mine, I went back into my earliest memories as a guide. I remember being awe inspired by everything around me! Much like the look on the face of a baby as the baby takes in all the new experiences through the baby's senses. My little body was incapable of doing what I needed to do in order to understand things beyond my reach. I was curious about everything! I knew nothing except that I was somewhere I was unfamiliar with. There was another dynamic, besides being curious, within me as well. That being my dependence on the ones who cared for me. I felt some of my first emotions when I saw the happiness in their faces when attending to me. Since my early youth these two instincts, (curiosity) and what I generalize as (compassion); ie love, care, empathy etc..., have matured and expressed themselves in more enlightened and evolved ways in my life. I feel a gladdening within me that is constantly renewing my internal happiness. When I am in pursuit of knowledge or discovery of some previous unknown to me I am in one of my favorite modes. When I am caring about and expressing emotion toward something that touches my heart I am also in one of my favorite modes. When I experience a lack of either of these instincts, and a lack of the will to survive, which does occur from time to time, I find that my thoughts and contemplative actions are of lesser principled ideals and not truly worthy of my attention. The denial of any or some of these instincts creates lesser human traits that are not natural but learned. All of this has led me to my theory that without compassion, curiosity and the will to survive I have nothing left that exists within the better and best of human principles.

No comments: