Thursday, April 21, 2011

Facing truth (#811)

This post is more about admitting I am wrong than facing the truth. But to get to the point of admitting I am wrong I must first be willing to face the truth. I know not one single person who enjoys being wrong. I know few people who readily admit it when they do know they have been wrong. At least at first, usually there is some attempt at justification or blame. Eventually though most come around and contrition does express itself. It is without exception though that a few will not ever give in to facing the truth. For whatever reason, living within the boundaries of incomplete information is more acceptable than to see outside the illogic. I have tried to understand this dilemma with my own experiences at doing it but I still come up short since I have always come around to objectivity or possibility. Never have I stayed in the absolute impossibility of me being wrong. I can only conjecture that ego or belief system will not allow any other "truth" to exist. I will not try to psychoanalyze or give my common sense opinion on reasons for not accepting truths but I do say that illogic of some form has taken deep root. Most of us can accept being wrong with a sense that life is bigger than all of us and knowing most all things correctly is mostly impossible. We learn through our mistakes as all of us have proven numerous times. The ability to adapt to the ever changing and ever informing culture we live within has been a luxury we need to acknowledge. Our culture allows us to be wrong, especially if we are able to move forward toward something that is correct. We encourage knowing and evaluating. We do however stop at encouraging illogic as a policy. Instead we encourage correcting false assumptions or premises for the goal of understanding the true premises on to which we build our conclusions. All this to say that if you cannot admit you are wrong when you are wrong, how will you ever be right?

No comments: