Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Objective knowledge helps us grow into wisdom (#817)

When I can look at the knowledge I gain with an objective perspective, I am giving myself the best chance to being able to be wise about how that knowledge is applied. In a less strict sense, I am able to understand common sense, applied to circumstances, in a better way. Certainly, experiencing similar circumstances elevates my ability to being wise in a particular way but generally it is of less value unless I am able to gauge my knowledge objectively within a pattern. That pattern is becoming very clear to me and it is through perception of knowledge, objectively. There are a lot of Sunday morning quarterbacks, to use a cliche, who on Saturday think what they know is best based upon factors less objective and more subjective. There is no easy way to get to becoming wise. I say this because I have tried and of course failed miserably. Not that I am the only one who has had this failing experience with trying to get something without doing the real work to achieve it. When it comes to wisdom, it is even more difficult since it requires an amalgamation of things concurrently for it to show itself. Knowledge, experience, gut feeling and objective outlook. How are these attained without work and practice. I will say that there is one more vital element of character that seems to be exhibited by many examples of wise people we have recorded in our history and that is a humility of character. I started this post out with the idea that objective knowledge is a powerful way to achieve wisdom and it is, however like so many other things in our existence it is not the only tool. Regardless, unless I find myself in agreement with looking at knowledge with the eye of innocence, with no prejudgment or condition, I have not allowed myself the foundation for building on truth as best I can know, which is essential in being honest and clear for someone who seeks out, hopefully, my wise counsel.

2 comments:

siouxlin said...

I so appreciate the thoughtfulness of your writing. And, although you eluded to this quality of wisdom with "gut feeling", I find that letting go of all thinking, words and reasons, a true emptying of the mind, i.e. "dropping from one's head to one's heart", that inner space within, allows me to emerge with a clear wholeness of understanding...some say a universal consciousness that is beyond any normal knowing.

Man of Hope said...

Thank you Siouxlin for your concept. It has a symmetry to it that "feels" right.