Thursday, June 23, 2011

Empathy as a logic (#874)

Sounds peculiar to describe empathy as a logic but still for some that is exactly what it must become. The reason I say this is because there are logics out there that prescribe no empathy as a fundamental principle for living. I, on the other hand, dismiss the "no empathy" crowd as unnatural and instead rely on my natural instinct of caring to help me rationalize empathy as a needed principle in defining who I am. Logically, as a human being, that is part of a species that nurtures it's own, I am instinctively "wired" to feel compassion for a lack of happy circumstances. I do not deny this through some convoluted or twisted understanding of logic used to advance a less than human being agenda. I am who I am and if I was to deny that, I end any hope of being who I really am. This may sound like circular reasoning but simply put, if I choose to ignore my instinctual nature in order to further an illusory one of man-made construction, then I have stepped outside my nature and become an artificial being. I have abdicated my right to "feel" as a human in order to not "feel" at all. I will have changed the definition of my place within the species of humanity to one of an arbitrary thought-based creation. It is illogical to recreate myself into something I would conclude is a better definition of what I want me to be. I am not the creator of myself, I am the by-product of what I am. Through the force of existence I exist as a human being and in that I have what I believe to be two main instincts, Compassion and curiosity, with a third instinct of survival. I cannot reconcile any permutation of logic and reasoning to a non-empathetic human species that is also a normal human being. It is only possible in diagnosis of psychopathology, such as sociopath and psychopath. Without empathy, such is the lot of those who would choose to become only thought-based entities.

No comments: