Saturday, June 18, 2011

The things I can control (#869)

I see examples of the ideals and rights that are defended even to the death. I look at what others in this vast world of our's are doing to maintain their own personal dignity and respect. The lengths they are willing to go, despite the cost, to keep their principles and virtues. I am honored to live in a time when the striving for something is not about the newest toy but about freedom and liberty. Our world is still in the throes of those who do not hold to a conscious decision to make our world better, only to make their own world better, despite the means they use to achieve that. I can do my part by calling out reality to any who would listen. I can also take a stand in my personal life to do more to help those who are being denied basic moral, ethical and just opportunities. All I need to do is look around me and I can find ways to help those who have little to nothing but hope. It is a consequence of my upbringing that I had instilled in me to make my life better and by out-maneuvering anyone who would get in my way. The protestant work ethic combined with a survival of the fittest competition. This all or nothing attitude of "get mine first at all costs" does well in a society that values commodity over human empathy. As a model for innovation and modernity it has it's popular aspects, but as an outlet for compassion to the less able and more unfortunate, it has few uses. A turning point in my philosophy for life came when I was able to look behind me and see the wreckage and those who had been left that despair. A sudden need to have a quality of life based on relationships overcame my desire to have the newest and biggest toy. A maturing of my soul took place and now I can see my destiny involves advancing what I see as the virtuousness of human dignity and respect.

No comments: