Thursday, July 14, 2011

The state of my being (#895)

This is where I am at. I am an individual human being. I have the ability to reason that I exist. I have emotion about situations and circumstances. Nothing much else except the willingness to defend my survival. As a foundation of who I am this is a very well put together insight into me and all other humans. If this is all I would accept as me then my life would be as it should be. However, I have something, as well as all others, that takes me away from my baseline. It is known as the ego, described as such: "the "self", "self-concept", "false self", "conceptual identity"...-Wikipedia. My, and all of our, ego is an enculturation and a false positive reinforcement within our society. For some reason it is given status as an individual characteristic that has enormous benefits to society. It is part of that whole rugged individualistic nature that had the will of force to tame the barbarous world. Unfortunately, creating a mindset buried in the concept of self as a rule, we have inadvertently created an illusion or false identity of what humanity is. If perfection within life is a noble ascertainment to seek and experience then the idea that we would elevate ourselves above who we are is the wrong way to go about it. For me the opposite of ego is humility. In my blog definition I define our natures as having both compassion and curiosity as our true instincts. Humility is the logical by-product of this combination of natures, not ego, which by it's definition is a "false self". It seems to me that fear is the only purpose for ego and that recognizing this about fear and it's negative connotation, any ego related concepts would also align with negativity. I often must realize that to move closer to humility I am crushing or eliminating ego to get there, thus my belief that to get to humility I must stop my ego. That is the state of my being and I hope and wish our future has less ego and much more humility.

No comments: