Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Virtue as a battle hymn (#949)

"One two three, what are we fighting for?"-Country Joe McDonald. There was no virtue here, just confusion and resignation. We can do better than this. We can choose our individual battles and base them on what is right and good about our humanity and our society. I have had in the past some doubt as to who I am and whether I was worthy of being heard. I don't anymore because I have realized that with a firm foundation of virtuous principles to think and act on in every moment of my life, I am somebody who matters. I can tell others of what I have found for myself and help them realize their worth as well. To have a foundation of worth as a starting point to being able to fight for the better and best of virtues is key. Our convictions should come from what is best about human nature. I try to define human nature in this blog as being caring and curiosity, with a desire to stay alive. If I am right, I have no doubt for myself, then expressing those traits in thought and action is the worth I have found. Never before have I felt the strength and courage to fight for what is virtuous than when I have been living a virtuous life. I am human and acknowledge that I will constantly fail in my desires to be virtuous at all times. No one can be in the moment and be right every second of their life. yet it is in the desiring of being able to do this that most of us live. I strive for the better and best and that makes me feel the worth I need to stand up to any philosophy of lesser traits. It is exhilarating to know that when the manipulators or con men/women are promoting their greed or power that I can recognize it and speak the truth about it. If we all felt our worth and stood up against that which is wrong and dehumanizing, we would all gain from our vigilance to maintain and grow our society in the best of ways.

No comments: