Saturday, October 1, 2011

At what price do we sell ourselves? (#974)

All of us have a price. None of us has the virtue of being totally incorruptible. I recognize that my statement may have some shock value to it and I suppose it is meant to, however it is still true. We trade away our rights to life by just being a part of society. The little that some of us trade for security is a price, just like the lot some of us trade away is also. I understand this and realize that for all my high honorable principles, I must recognize that without selling some part of myself I could not have anything that resembles modernity nor community. This is the foundation I have built my life upon, it is my social contract with the rest of us to be a part of how we live. I am willing to live within boundaries that keep the rest of us, myself included, somewhat free from imminent fear and loss of security in exchange for opportunities that give us some comfort. As I have been in society and learned that this is how things work, I have increasingly found that the cost of myself in this contract has become increasingly less comfortable, to myself and others, with an equal loss of security. Somehow our social contract has been twisted by others to alienate most of us while enhancing some of us. The statistics are everywhere that prove this. Those who say that it is not so have become the noise of the false logic and of those who feel the need to promote a false truth upon most of us. We begin our time in society bargaining off a part of ourselves to join society, this bargaining off is a form of manipulation we agree to. We start out in a position of selling ourselves, so is it so inconceivable that others would also try to sell us as well? When we understand how life works and what is real, it is very simple to see that our society is changing in ways that make our initial contract with it less appealing, instead of more hopeful.

No comments: