Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Keep moving forward (#1075)

If I am not moving forward then I am at rest or just paused. Either way, moving forward, resting or taking a moment to pause is my agenda as I will never go backward. I have already lived my past and it has nothing positive to offer me except fond memories and lessons learned. The past for me is growing pains for the most part. I would not want to live or muddle through those growing pains again. I am like most who get nostalgic about the past and say things like I wish I could be a teenager again and know what I know now, but of course that is fantasy and it will never happen. I spend even less time with nostalgia and romancing some fondly remembered time because I have my present and future to live and that takes all my thoughts and energies. I have trained myself to understand and accept that I only live in the present and that is what I need all my focus for. Moving forward with my life is the right and proper thing to do, not wishing for or lamenting the happenings of the past is some sort of dramatic way. I have lived the past already, nothing more to do about that except make my present better from thoughts and actions I used in the past. I get a do over of sorts, I get to apply my experiences from the past to make my present and hopefully my future that much better. The fear that comes with letting go of the past is real to many and at one time was real to me. I know how our human nature to survive influences our hard-to-come-to-grips-with-reality, that we are all mortal and will pass this existence at some near time. Holding onto the familiar with a death grip is common but it does highlight our frailty and weaker behaviors. I value my memories, however my memories are only a reflection of how I have lived my life and the living of my life is always in the present, not the past.

No comments: