Saturday, March 3, 2012

A new day a new beginning (#1128)

This is one of the reasons I love sleep so much is that getting tired and falling asleep allows me to wake up with a renewed vigor for life. Sure, sometimes I also wake up with a dread about what I have to do next but mixed in with that occasional dread is a way of thinking that looks to find solutions. Either way, I am renewed. It is strange to me how I have changed over the years in almost the exact opposite of logic :) Now I look forward to sleep as opposed to early in my life when I never wanted to sleep. Funny how experience and perspective change what we think is absolutely right at the time into the exact opposite later. I guess when I was young I thought of the world as the greatest place ever and I didn't want to be denied a bit of it. Juxtapose that with a young combat troop knowing they are going into an almost certain death situation. I will come back to this. I suppose my feeling of living every moment had a lot of validity, but what I have found is that the quality of my living is effected by my sleep. When I sleep when I am tired I benefit from it, I wake up and go into my day. When I don't my irascible nature comes out and the quality of my awake time suffers. I put less emphasis on missing those seconds when I am sleeping and more emphasis on the moments when I am awake and fully refreshed. It does all boil down to quality, not quantity. Anyway, how I was able to make a discussion out of this is wild but back to the point about the young combat person knowing they are going to face almost certain death and the thoughts that must go through their heads about not wanting to die yet before they have even had a chance to really live must be an excruciatingly experience that goes against every fiber of one's will to live. Always the perspective and how things look from other eyes.

No comments: