Thursday, March 8, 2012

Once we get past putting ourselves first (#1133)

The great understanding of our lifetimes is that if we can find a way to see the world first and ourselves second, we will have hit upon the secret to having a wonderful life. There is nothing that draws people into your life like you putting them first before yourself. I have found this to be true, especially as I have gotten older and less interactive in the public at large. My world has slowly shrunk to just immediate folks that I am comfortable with. But even then, I try hard to look at them with an eye toward, what can I do for them? My life has problems that need to be addressed, and I do address them but not to the sole exclusion of others. Sometimes I have to put my problems on the back burner so that I can help with some others whose problems are greater and more pressing. It is not like I have some great power or resources to do all that I would like to do but I won't let myself have a bad conscious thought by doing nothing either. I try and trying is all I can do sometimes. yet, by not being the selfish person I could be I have room in my life for others to know they can count on me. I have some of their respect and that to me is value that cannot be measured. I look at all humans as having something special about them and giving them the chance to express that specialness is the other side of being trusted. My little circle of acquaintances is strong in the bonding sense since we have come to know that we have each others back. That isn't just for old friends but for new friends as well. We all share this existence and that we can also share each others' abilities to be there for each other makes this life that much easier and enjoyable, once I got past putting myself first.

No comments: