Thursday, May 31, 2012

Morality is a choice (#1217)

Unless you are afflicted with no conscious and have a psychopathic/sociopathic personality, then you are a morally inclined personage. Morality is the ability to differentiate between good and bad, right and wrong. We are mostly all able to do this and as such we make a choice as to how we proceed. We cannot rely on our instincts to guide our morality, we must utilize our instincts but only at the direction of our own reasoning processes. In other words we must think before we act impulsively. Eventually we can train our impulses to reflect our morality by practicing our intentions with vigor and determination. Still, that process involves choosing to do so in order to get at the desired outcome. Each of us has a moral code within us. We do not read out of a book to know how we feel at all times. We instead try to understand how we feel by comparing it to others who have experienced the same thing. We may not always agree on how our morality compares but if our understanding of what is good and bad and right and wrong brings us to a conclusion then that is our choice to make. My thoughts about this correspond with other paradigms of human circumstances, such as my idealism about justice, ethics, virtue, etc...Being alive is the easy part; living as if I am an individual with the free will and the responsibility that goes with that is more difficult. I am a complex human being and as such I do not shirk from that conclusion, instead I embrace it with the optimism of my morality, and more, that motivates me to continue forward into my future with my eyes wide open and my mind ready to build on the knowledge I already have. 

No comments: