Saturday, September 22, 2012

Social media and it's effect (#1331)

I do not claim to be a social media expert but I do have my observational experience to make an empirical judgement. The advent of Facebook, blogs, twitter, etc... has given individuals like myself a forum to pass along objective opinions and referenced facts that help shape our understanding of the environment that we live in. Even on a scale of world view right down to my local neighborhood. This is a huge paradigm shift from only having controlled mediums like radio, print copy and television of past years. Today's social media has a connective value for us that cannot be over-estimated. We can now share our thoughts and the events that shape them at the tap of a finger on the keyboard. No more is our audience defined by those we meet in person. I can communicate to someone or a group of someones on the other side of the planet without ever leaving the comfort of my living room dressed only in my most comfortable clothes. The greatest benefit that I find is our ability to connect up with like-minded souls and progress an agenda that reflects our hopes and visions. We can all come to see our rational understanding of policies and events through the same prism of facts and truths. Not only is my life alive with the concept that my thoughts are relevant, but that they can be shared with others who may also find them so. We are able to highlight the very best of ourselves in a way that presents the best of our principles through this new dynamic of opening up with the confidence that we matter. We all have a voice and now that voice has the ability to shape the future. We are not just some little insignificant being who has been shut out of the decision making process like generations before us. We can and should open our hearts and minds to the matters of the day and express ourselves with the dignity and respect we all deserve as being human.

No comments: