Friday, October 5, 2012

Self interest versus community involvement (#1344)

These two dynamics are more mutually exclusive than they are mutually inclusive. When I decide the actions of my wants and desires as the first order of priority, I have failed to consider what effect those have on the society we live in on whole. I am only concentrating on my own level of achievement/pleasure to the dismissal of other communal factors. By compartmentalizing my approach to living within elements of my own demands, I have disassociated myself from any comprehensive changes that need to be implemented in uplifting society to a better place. I have subjugated society's progress for a more narrow vision of my own priority. This constant friction between living a life free and devoid of responsibility to our civilization is a concept based in selfishness as a natural right. Interesting that some feel this way yet disregard that they have been raised and cared for in the secure environment of a communal society. All the advancements that have taken place in our recorded history, the recording of it itself as an example, has required a communal effort. Where some think that they owe no loyalty to a process that is inherent in our existence is mind-boggling. Even more than that it is selfishness and ego wrapped up in illogic. Yet it is a pervasive form of popular thought in our current lifetime. There is a lack of satisfaction by those same people when it comes to not understanding how to be a part of society while also taking from society it's best offerings. Sharing what limited resources we have is not a consideration for them, instead it is a duty of being owed to them and a high principle. Instead of being all in for themselves, they should see that being all in for our society and the human race is the true paradigm of living a well and satisfied life. 

No comments: