Monday, December 10, 2012

A purposeful life (#1410)

Certainly we were not born to be parts of a society whose only function it is to ignore any of our abilities. We have our senses and our imaginations. That gets us thinking about what we are actually doing and what we could be doing. That is just the foundation of where life should be lived. I have based this blog off of two natural instincts that I call compassion and curiosity, or in simpler terms, care and wonder. These two make up the majority of who we are. Yet, I also claim a third less advertised characteristic but no less important. That would be our will to survive, or our motivation to stay alive. Most all of us seem to cherish this animal instinct with a passion. It is also where I get my motivations for all that I do otherwise what is the point of being alive if we are not experiencing life without causing harm? This leads me too a philosopher, John Stuart  Mill, who I greatly admire for his laser focus on the principle of "doing no harm". If no harm is done to ourselves or others then life should have no restrictions as to thought and action. This simple concept of doing no harm gives us our foundation from where to live and where to start any activity or thought that may please us. It is from this platform that I allow my motivations to gather momentum. My motivations are clearly generations of my ideals and my purposes. They are are entwined in a whirligig of motion that are directly reflected in my human actions. It is not hard to know peace within yourself when you know from where to start all your thoughts and actions. Caring and wondering with a will to survive, these work perfectly for me and for that I am honored to be a human being.

No comments: