Thursday, December 6, 2012

The ego of the mediocre (#1406)

So many times in my life have I been guilty of this. I have sounded and proclaimed insight and wisdom into varying circumstances only to be proven wrong more times than I wish to remember. I often wondered why I chose to act as if I was something far greater than what I was. If anything being mediocre was a step up for me because I thought all I had to do was put a few concepts together and I could somehow magically claim to be the genius in the crowd. My ego run amuck! Now we have certain folks who have gained positions of authority and their great feat is to act as if they are all knowing. it is disturbing to me now because I can spot them right off. They have the same incoherence to their pronouncements that I did. The ego is a cruel companion when left to it's devices. We all need a modicum amount of ego in order to help us to understand our possibilities but when ego has been given reign over such ideals that transcend normal reality, we are in for some large doses of humility if we are not already immune to humility. Ego can do that too, it can justify in our minds that despite any and all resistance we are right no matter reality or the logic we use in reality rebuts us with. Such is the domineering effect ego can have. That is why it is so important to remember that it is an honor to be elevated in the public and private spheres and to think that beyond our own initiatives and motivations we claim some superior manifestation of intellect is irrational. If anything most of us are really good in a few areas and in the rest we are novices. But don't tell that to the ego driven who have long ago sold their normal sanity to a form of glorified narcissism that only exists in illusion.

No comments: