Friday, January 25, 2013

Adventure over profit (#1456)

When I was young and starting out in life nothing was easy. Yet I knew that I needed to get out in the world and explore what it was about. I had a yearning to see new things, places and people as a way to understand the world around me. Although I didn't get off the north American continent, I still was sated with new and exciting revelations. I was after adventure, not building a empire for myself. I had come from a meager to modest upbringing and for that I was able to subsist on little and still find happiness. What a powerful perspective I was fortunate to start with. I had already become aware that the world was not about me but instead was about all of us and my little part in it was just that, little. Anyway, as I became aware that although we are all different, we are much more alike than not. The places I saw were no different generally than from where I began. In other words, life in one region of the world isn't much different from another. We are all just trying to find a way to survive with some dignity and respect. That I was able to strike out and travel as much as I did gave me a lot of time to reflect on our world. I knew I was trading for adventure over the best forward to make profit, but in my mind, profit was confining and chaotic, which threatened my principles in ways that turned me away. Adventure on the other hand was real and everyday something either new or moving toward new. I was excited to be out on my own working and living among new people and enjoying the good from all who felt the same. We live one time in our bodies and for me, taking my body out for a test run out in the world was and still is the best recipe for life I could and still do imagine.

No comments: