Thursday, February 7, 2013

A life full of good memories (#1469)

I count myself fortunate to have a good memory and one that is also full of times and places from my past that make me realize that I have attempted to fulfill the best of who I am and who I want to be. Not all good but mostly good. Certainly memories can sustain us in difficult times through the comfort of having known or been with special people and places, but they also are a record of how we have lived our lives. I, like most I presume, tend to keep the best of memories at the forefront of my mind and let the less more unpleasant ones slip into the back void of my "mental filing cabinet". However, with me, the memories that are at the forefront are indicative of my general attitude about life. I appreciate and cherish the laughter and happiness that has been a part of me since my earliest memories. Life was difficult for my family, especially my parents, which most of us recognize, yet the sacrifices they made on our behalf, made life seem wonderful and full of exciting adventures. I figured out long ago that I wanted to be a good guy who would be the hero in every situation where I was needed to be. That of course has been tempered with time and various confusing scenarios but the initial instinct of my willingness to be of help has never left me. I am not so much about material and self-satisfying pleasures as my goal in life but I am about feeling good about myself and my actions and how they are interpreted among those around me. Yes, I do want approval from my peers. Not as an end game but just as a reminder of how I live and who I have become. None of us is an island in total, we are all part of this planet and it's boundaries. How we remember who we were, and are, is all about how we want to live.

No comments: