Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Trust a moral code (#1503)

I am not saying which code of morality anyone should trust, only that we should understand our own principled outlook and develop our own code. Certainly, I take morality from many different sources and inculcate them into my own. I don't just accept what others find as infallible, I use what is right within my own soul to adapt to the ever changing evolution of our human species. That is not to say that I compromise on foundational principles, it is just that life is not a set piece that can be defined by only certain parameters. We are simply an evolving species who over time change and adapt to technology and our environment with ever increasing complexities. What was considered unthinkable in the past is now so common that we rarely even think of it's impossibility. That type of renewal and change is also evident in how we adjust our moral outlook. In the past a work ethic was considered the value of what it is to be human, whereas now, it isn't just a work ethic, it is also capital accumulation that has risen above that threshold. I am not saying that is a good thing, which personally I do not, but it is what we have evolved toward. Our principles have also changed in that we seem to care less about the process of capital accumulation and more about the result. This is a transformation of how we used to evaluate our principles to a lessening of the standards involved. Again, I am disappointed in this outcome, but again my disappointment notwithstanding is irrelevant. That is why we need to find our own moral code and then defend that code as it applies to ourselves and do not allow ourselves the cynicism others seem to be able to justify while weakening their own moral code.

No comments: