Friday, May 10, 2013

The freedom of my conscious (#1561)

From Shakespeare's Twelfth Night; "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.". Although it is true in our present reality that these categories do play out like Shakespeare wrote, however for me it is that we are all born great and it is only society and culture that make us less so in reality. The freedom of my conscious is reminiscent of Rene Descartes and his attempt to prove he existed; "I think, therefore I am". Since it is I who think, it is my existence I am thinking from. Mine and no one else's if Descartes proof is correct. I tend to accept Rene's premise and conclusion as logical and therefore, I am an entity of my own free will. I get to free will since my ability to think is dependent upon me, and only me, acting upon it. I accept this as fact for myself and then so by extension I accept this as fact for all others as well. This is how I get to we are all born great. the beauty and genius of the human experience is that we have these five senses, touch, taste, hearing, seeing and smelling. With these miraculous abilities inherent from birth, we add reasoning, analyzing and concluding. Although logic is the main thrust of our reasoning, intuition has it's part as well. Again, I will say it here, we are biological data processors, capable of not only taking in information but studying it to determine outcomes or possible outcomes. Then there is the one other paradigm in our existence that we all share, we have emotion. So that the data we input into ourselves everyday and then conclude through our processes, has an emotional component to it that heightens within us a sense of morality, ethic and justice. We actually care about what we come to know or suspect. We are a complex biological specimen that by default of our abilities, per se, make us all great from the beginning of our lives.

No comments: