Sunday, June 23, 2013

The punishing religious ethic (#1605)

Apparently we humans are incapable of distilling discipline in our lives. It is forced upon us that only some sort of belief in a divinity are we able to function within a described moral code. As if the choices we make are not our own in evolving an ethic toward our own moral standards. I would disagree wholeheartedly with those who think I cannot find morality without a belief. I am a man of science and a man of spirituality, however neither of these relegates me to some position where myth, more and superstition rule my life. I have a better outlook on how I live within my virtuous principles, I honor them with action and with explanation. A life lived well is always superior to a life defined by another. I choose to see my actions in this world as my discipline. I am living as I wish my life to be and not through some structured procedure that has to be moderated by others in order to find satisfaction. We live in a society and for that there are rules of behavior we agree to maintain, yet those rules of civility are not my passion and that passion of mine is to be better today than I was yesterday. How I get there is my choice not some subscribed notion that requires homage instead of attraction. For those who cannot or will not find their own spirituality about this existence and their place within it then some form of belief system may be the only path they can find to honor what is good within them. Yet to abdicate our own right to find what links our spirit to this world, through a generic way, is to ignore the doubts that we all share even among those of us who adamantly oppose compartmentalizing that special sense we all have within us. My doubts are my compass and so far my compass has pointed true.  

No comments: