Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Wisdom is humble not obnoxious (#1691)

Some days it is my turn to be the bird and not always the statue. Which reminds me that even on rarer occasions I get to be the observer of both the bird and the statue. It is when I get to observe cause and effect when it happens to others I get to see how both sides grace the equation. Yes, for the most part, along with emotion, every occasion is an equation to me, logically speaking that is. Anyway, back to my point, when two or more people engage in a discussion about a subject and then the discussion explodes into a warped discussion absent the subject, I get the real sense of who is doing what as to the listening and responding process. When "one" makes a comparative point and the "other" misses the point and focuses only on the comparison I can justly see that the "other" is less concerned with the validity of the point and more concerned about making the "one" an example of an example of similar comparison. The "other" is the person who has shown the tendency to be bellicose to the point of name calling and character assassination. I just watched this scenario unfold and the "one" who began the discussion with a comparison to make a point was left defending his honor against a barrage of insults and accusations. If I had been the "other" I would have just recognized that what the "one" said was true on a micro level of the subject being discussed and not gone off on the "one" for either misunderstanding the subject of the comment or for reasons that have to do with the "other's" vanity. Anyway, it was a sad reflection on the "others" ability to focus on the point and for that I do believe we have a failure of grammatical proportions, which not only confuses the point of discussion but shows an immense lack of understanding about what the subject was to begin with.

No comments: