Friday, October 4, 2013

I created the problem but it is your fault (#1708)

Otherwise known as cognitive dissonance. The holding of two opposing beliefs at the same time. Not quite a perfect definition but close enough for my purposes here. The point I am trying to get at is that when I am responsible for creating an unpleasant situation, I cannot just say it is someone else's fault and believe that to be true. It is an irrational position. What I must do instead if I create an unpleasant situation, is that I must accept and claim the unpleasantness as my own doing. I must accept my culpability in whatever outcome evolves from my creation. It is at least the honorable thing to do regardless if the outcome is wholly dishonorable. What I see so much of now are people who create a dishonorable situation and then go about the task of deflecting all the blame that surely follows onto others as a strategy. An intentional effort to blame someone else for their own creation. I would call that cowardly but even cowards have some dignity, no, it is worse than cowardice, it is inhuman. There is a baseline for what I perceive as being human and those who purposely set out to sabotage and shirk responsibility are below that baseline. Humans are caring curious entities, not devious harm inflicting savages. Now I know our species does have a different account as to how to define what a human is but in my mind, humanity must exist within a human for the human to be actually human. I accept no one into my sphere of living who cannot at least measure up to being human with some intent to do what is right and good.

No comments: