Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The intentional deceitful (#1832)

The case of too many of us not being informed enough about many subjects so we instead defer to sources or people who we have put some faith in without knowing for sure if they are intellectually honest. I am guilty of this many times over the course of my life. I choose to take someone else's position because somehow it fit the narrative of what I thought should be correct without knowing all the factors involved. A short cut if you will allow me to describe it as. I found that sounding smart sometimes actually took the place of being smart. Think of all the time I saved not having to actually research the arguments for and against some policies. Well that kind of thinking came back to shame me when I tried it against people who had actually learned the subject of our discussion. So instead of sounding important and knowledgeable I came off as someone who was ill prepared and not worthy of respect. I learned my lesson those many years ago and now I try my best to actually know what I am talking about before I talk about it. Or I admit right at the beginning that I am not sure since I didn't or don't know all the factors involved. It is truth that saved me and is now my guiding principle in matters of thought and practice. I actually don't mind admitting when I am proven wrong and even more I change my outlook based upon better information. I am not glued to any one idea of truth if that very same truth can be enlightened to a greater truth. Such is my life now, I don't try to impress anyone with my ability to be right, instead I just try to pass along information to help anyone who may realize it helps them. I have my positions on certain policies but not because I took someone else's position but because I actually learned mine through the proper research. 

No comments: