Friday, February 7, 2014

The Superhero in all of us (#1834)

We all have this instinct within us to save the day and bring about something special. I know I live for moments when my thoughts or actions might create an outcome that gives me a sense of kinship with the heroic figures of all time. I know for me that I need to be on the right of humanity when I choose to take up the defense or promotion of an ideal or cause. I have to know in my soul that what I am doing is right and good. It is the genesis of who I am and that was a choice I made long ago. I want to feel alive in what I do, even when I lose at my battles. It is far better than winning at something wrong and feeling that dead feeling inside for all the advantage I might have gained at others' expense. Life as a hero is a goal everyone should experience even if being the hero is in small ways every day. I don't know why we are alive or for that matter why any of us exist other than serendipity, but I do know what it feels like to be a heroic figure, even if for only a moment, and nothing much in existence compares to it. I know we get caught up in theoretical posturing on how our society should operate but while we are debating the issues of the day we must never forget that we are alive only for a short time and that life truly is about the living of it, not the theory of it. What we do and think matters and if our thoughts and actions aren't funneled toward demonstrating life in real time with real tangible results then we are just playing at life as spectators and not experiencing it. I choose to try to be a heroic figure because it displays what is best about our species and for that I am privileged to every once in awhile experience that magnificent sense of understanding.

No comments: