Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Following through is not easy but the right thing to do (#2021)

It seems that I have been making more principled stands lately that deny myself of certain desires more than anything else. Apparently it is the metaphorical turning of the worm. We are defined by our actions based off of our words. If I say a thing then I had better live it. "My word must be my bond" in this world where that is considered a cynical phrase. Very few have the expectation that anyone else will sacrifice when given a choice. It seems that only looking out for oneself is the accepted method of action regardless of words out of one's own mouth to the contrary. I am not trying to be an example to anyone else other than myself. I want my life to mean to me what I think, say and do. That is the stuff that brings me peace and harmony in a world of chaos and confusion. When John Stuart Mill gave us the principled ideal of "do no harm" he advertently unleashed within me a sense of purpose. The cost/benefit analysis of my principles is the path I chose to follow. The circumstances of which are inescapable if I follow through with them. Sometimes it is hard, very hard to follow through, yet the hard needs to be overcome with my intent to do as I say. There are enough souls out there who have already decided that hypocritical concepts like, "do as I say, not as I do", are justifiable when it gets tough for them to follow through on their principles. I wish to remain free from that pitfall and instead just follow through as consciously as possible with acts that reflect my thoughts and words. Hypocrisy is not to be acceptable as an excuse to shirk my duty to myself. I know better and although I will deny myself the desires I wish for, in return I get to respect myself. I don't have to forget all the disrespect I cause for myself and for those who witness my failures. Instead I get to live with the consequences of my choices with honor and dignity. Following through when it is tough to do so just exposes the depth of our character.

No comments: