Thursday, September 11, 2014

The wisdom to know the difference (#2050)

This is not just part of a twelve step prayer. This is a rule to live by. Know the difference in everything that concerns you and even in things that are beyond you. learn what you need to know not to be in the dark about what matters in life. It is one thing to have an opinion, it is entirely another thing to know if that opinion can stand the test of common sense and logic. I surely want things good to happen for all of us, yet I know bad will still happen. So I confine my thoughts and actions to those things that I can reliably hope to achieve or effect in a positive way. I pick my battles to their most effective usage. I know I cannot be the champion of all good in the world but I can be a on guard against the bad that I can defend against. What is surprising to me is that once I have chosen to commit to a better situation in my life other situations start to change for the better as well. It is like an avalanche, everything gets swept up in it. My path to what wisdom I have, unfortunately has come from trial and error. I had few positive role models to emulate growing up that I felt I could trust. Coming of age in the 1960's exposed me to the disappointment of hatred while also revealing to me the mask many wore to hide their lies. Cynicism was being ingrained into my soul much like a knee jerk response when my bent knee nerves were tapped. It is hard to distinguish the good from the bad when so much illusory effort is made by those who are hiding the truth in order to deceive. But we must, and I have made the effort to know the difference and become wise about those differences. I spend my time not on satisfying some idea of grandeur or ongoing material accumulations but instead on refining my knowledge base as a value. What is precious to me is what our human species is most about, our compassion and our curiosity.

No comments: