Monday, October 20, 2014

Face the truth, don't lie to yourself (#2089)

In my past I had problems with alcohol and drugs. I couldn't keep the addictive properties of them from influencing my decisions in ways that were harmful. So I took steps to remedy the problem by stopping the usage of them. I remembered back to the days when I was young and unfamiliar with alcohol and drugs and re-incorporated that lifestyle of enjoying life as an adventure of discovery over the pitfalls that I had found myself trapped within. It worked and to this day I have not looked back on those struggling days except to use as examples of what not to do. It all started though with me looking in the mirror and applying the knowledge I knew about my unwelcome behavior. I had to be honest with myself. No more could I disassociate reality as a way to justify my thoughts and actions. I could no longer be in a state of cognitive dissonance where contradiction was allowed to exist in my life as if it didn't apply to me. I could no longer think that the laws of physics and logic could be bent to my own personal will. I had to stop being arrogantly stubborn about my own selfish will over the effects my selfishness were causing. I had to be honest with myself no matter what the reality challenged me to change in my life. I succumbed to becoming honest one fine morning and since I have never been a more alive human being. No more do I lose arguments based upon fallacy since I will not allow myself to defend the illogical. No more do I fear my previous actions committed without me having the benefit of my full awareness. No more do I hide from anyone over omissions of responsibility. I am now able to recognize the truth in so many subjects because I have discarded my previous subjective beliefs for honest objective possibilities. In one life changing morning moment I validated my life to me and all I quit doing was lie to myself.

No comments: