Thursday, October 23, 2014

The ramblings of the incoherent (#2092)

I normally associate ramblings of the incoherent to those who are down and out with some disorder that makes their reality suffer a lack of clarity. Yesterday I was allowed to see another situation where not necessarily ramblings exposed themselves but something close to it. I had the misfortune to once again be reminded why I don't normally engage in a debate environment with those who will not listen nor learn. I spent way too much time trying to explain how reality and commerce work to a disciple of Laissez Faire economics. The problem is that he would not admit that his "belief" was what is described in the dictionary as a deregulated and untaxed system. We could never get off the fact that the description of his "belief" could be defined by similar policies that have been shown to fail. However, the subject of our discussion isn't my topic here, his failure to stipulate to what he was arguing for is. This is why I must always remember to stay away from political, religious and economic arguments unless they are grounded in both of us agreeing to understand what the other is forwarding. I am an amateur at many things and so because of that I research much in order to get a better understanding of the subject matter. I don't pretend to know it all or to form a conclusion based upon my limited knowledge even after researching as much as I am able. I do however start to form an opinion based upon what I gather and with who I am debating with. Often I am swayed to reach different opinions based upon a real exchange of ideas. It is how life should be. But when, and it is all too often with the right wing conservatives. I don't get objective information, instead I either get subjective opinion or a subtle change of the subject. Either way I find out early enough that whomever it is I am "debating" with has no good intent other than to force an opinion as if it were a fact. More to condescension than to pride in one's explainable understanding. I do keep trying from time to time to have that elusive objective debate but it is not forthcoming as much anymore, sadly.

No comments: