Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Because we have always voted this way (#2706)

     I can't tell you how many times I have heard this from those who will not accept facts as evidence. I have a family member who says that voting republican has been their particular family thing since childhood and there will be no changing that. So blind allegiance to whatever the republican party does is fine. How does one deal with this? I don't know since I have already tried explaining the republican party platform to them. I have even explained what will happen if the republicans get their way. Still nothing. It is as if they live in another reality. Several of them rely on government for their occupations and still back republican policies that would end their occupational positions. Now I am sure that they feel somehow magically that their jobs are fine it is just those others who are expendable.
     Because I cannot see how else their minds wrap around the obviousness of their choice. Yet that is still not enough to shake their view. I suppose their fear deep down has so strangled out any goodness they may have had that no amount of showing evidence of the poor being discarded like rubbish and the wealthy being treated even more like Kings seems to sway them. The survival of the fittest and austerity is their remedy for everyone else as long as they can stay comfortable in their "big government" jobs. It is like the union worker who votes republican. It doesn't seem to matter to them that the republican party is out to destroy unions from existence, thus putting the union worker out of a good paying job, no the union worker who votes republican doesn't seem to be bothered by this.
     Where logic ends and voting for republicans begins is the nexus I am most baffled by. The party of Trump and his haters seem good enough for Christian evangelicals. That is another paradox I am astounded by. I do believe that Christians do not know what it means to be a Christian as long as they get to pretend that they are one. Pretend, maybe that is it. Living life as a pretend makes them not have to deal with reality. Maybe it is reality that has them befuddled and ignoring it or denying it is their path forward. Sad really.

No comments: