Wednesday, April 11, 2012

How we handle adversity (#1167)

There is a certain "air" some exhibit when walking through fear or other obstacles that seem horrendous. A confidence of maturity that withstands the thought of failure. The only way this "air" can be obtained is to stand up for high principles and complete whatever time is necessary to move forward. I have admired many individuals in my life just for the actions they had taken that surprised me and gave me hope. A different way of looking at adversity, a genuine calmness that seemed to place the difficult circumstance into some kind of understandable and doable task. It is the maturation process with a heavy dose of principled strength. The man I always knew I could be is now the man I get to become. I don't have to be selfish or uncaring, I can be there for those who need me and offer what I can when I see things that need my help. A maturity that just doesn't come with age, it must be built with effort. Just because one has grown old, like all of us can attest to, one does not necessarily become wise. Wisdom is a process of understanding that reflects the best of our natures with some hopeful insight into what our future can be. Many do not have this and instead rely upon some concept that age automatically "grows" wisdom. I can attest that wisdom is not "grown" by aging. It is grown through the processes of caring and curiosity, which by the way are also our two foundational natures. The path to having a life filled with happiness and respect is through compassion and curiosity, and when that is obtained over time, then wisdom will naturally flow from the outcome.

No comments: